Panel: International Experiences in Electric Energy Markets
Moderator: Dr. Damir Novosel, IEEE PES President, Quanta Technology, Inc.
- Kenan Ögelman, Vice President, Commercial Operations Electric Reliability Council of Texas,, ERCOT, USA
- Kenan Ögelman is ERCOT’s vice president of Commercial Operations, overseeing Market Operations, Settlement and Retail Operations, and Market Design and Development. Prior to joining ERCOT in October 2015, Mr. Ögelman served as the director of Energy Market Policy for CPS Energy. In that role, he was responsible for managing CPS Energy’s activities at ERCOT and the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC) and developing strategic policy. Additionally, Mr. Ögelman served as chairman of the ERCOT Technical Advisory Committee from 2011 to 2013. Currently, Mr. Ögelman serves on the Gulf Coast Power Association’s (GCPA) Board of Directors. He has served on that board since 2013 and was vice president in 2014 and president in 2015.
- Dr. Juan Carlos Araneda, Director of Planning and Development, CDEC-SING, Chile
- He graduated as an electrical engineer from Federico Santa María University. He received his MPhil degree from the University of Manchester (UMIST), UK. Currently he is the Director of Planning and Development of CDEC-SING, the system operator of the Chilean Northern Interconnected System. His activities focus on the planning and regulation of electricity transmission systems.
- Ing. Eduardo Meraz, CEO of the National Center for Energy Control, Mexico
- Ing. César Ramírez, Technical Vicepresident of Energy Transport-ISA, Colombia
- Chief Operations Officer. He received his electrical engineering degree from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia. He has a graduate certificate in Quality Management from Universidad EAFIT and a master’s of science from U.S. Strathclyde. He joined ISA in 1980, and his last few positions were as follows: Chief Administrative Officer, Corporate Strategy manager and lastly, President of ISA’s affiliate CTEEP in Brazil.
- Ing. César Butrón, CEO of the COES-SINAC, Perú
- César Butrón Fernández was elected as Chairman of the Committee for the Economic Operation of the System (COES) for the first time in 2008. In 2013 he was re- elected for another 5 year term. COES is the system operator for the national grid in Perú and also is the electricity spot market administrator and does the long term planning for the expansion of the transmission system.